Navigating various social media platforms can be overwhelming. Each one seems to have its own "rules" for posting and interacting. Below, we've listed some general guidelines that follow an unspoken etiquette for social media.
- Think about the number of posts you make per day, don't inundate your followers.
- Straight-up self promotion should be kept to a minimum.
- Keep tagging to a minimum. Tagging shouldn't be used to encourage people to look at your posts. People like to control their own feeds.
- Tag only when giving credit to someone who played a role in the subject of your post or photo. (i.e. location, product, creative talent, etc.)
- Ask some questions privately that should not be public. (i.e. What is your wholesale rate? How do you make this? Why have you not responded to my email?)
- Do not point out mistakes publicly. (i.e. spelling, grammar, price, etc.) Instead, send a private message if you believe this mistake warrants attention.
- Refrain from giving unsolicited advice.
- Do not post anything with customer information, as in, showing a photo of an outgoing shipment that shows a postage label.
- Always credit the original owner if you regram or share a post.
If you have additional points, please leave them in the comments!