Here is a handy list of cold weather vegetables and the health benefits associated with each one from Jillian* of Valley Vintage. You can find all of these vegetables from your local farmer. Eat your veggies!
- Prevents cancer
- High in vitamin K which supports bone health
- Reduces cholesterol
- Good for the heart
- Proven to inhibit UTI infections
- Prevents H. pylori infections, which are associated with stomach ulcers
- High in antioxidants
- Rich in fiber, vitamin C and bioflavonoids
- Lactobacillus naturally occurs on the surface of cabbage and very powerful probiotic when allowed to ferment into sauerkraut
- Fresh cabbage juice can help heal ulcers
- Can help with wound healing
- Helps the body detox from heavy metals
- Helps increase blood flow, when there’s poor circulation or clogged arteries.
- Prevents many types of cancer
- Inhibits viruses including Human Papilloma Virus (HPV)
- High in B-vitamins that are often low in vegetarian diets.
- Helps detoxify the liver
- High in many vitamins and minerals
- High in lutein, it promotes eye health
- Contains called kaempferol is truly the fountain of youth -- it turns on the genes that promote longer life.
- Although lacking in the beta-carotene that gives carrots their color, parsnip are actually higher in most nutrients.
- Relieves constipation
- Helps keep blood sugar steady
- Proven to help with cardiac ischemia
- Inhibits LDL oxidation
- Reduces erectile dysfunction
- Protects baby's brain during birth trauma
- Helps weight loss
- Protects the skin
- Pumpkin seeds promote prostate health and boost your mood
- High in vitamins and antioxidants
- High in fiber
- Improves lung health
- Helps menopause due to a unique phytoestrogen known as diosgenin, a chemical compound with estrogen-like properties that can substantially decrease menopausal discomfort.
*originally published in The Life Center of Connecticut blog by Jillian Lyons
Valley Vintage is a combination of style from Jillian Lyons and Matthew Sensenig, vintage enthusiasts and partners in both love and business. They are located in the town of Seymour, CT nestled in the heart of the All American Valley! Their collection consists of vintage clothing and items that they simply can't resist. Nothing enters the Valley Vintage shop unless both Jillian and Matthew see something special about it. Everything is hand picked and curated together. They hope you'll see that something special in their picks too!